Saturday, April 30, 2011

The Princess Bride

"Whatever comes,” she said, “cannot alter one thing. If I am a princess in rags and tatters, I can be a princess inside. It would be easy to be a princess if I were dressed in cloth of gold, but it is a great deal more of a triumph to be one all the time when no one knows it."
Frances Hodgson Burnett, A Little Princess

I must admit I never wanted to be a princess. Never dreamed about it or even let it cross my mind. Other girls pranced around in their communion dresses, dreaming of castles and Prince Charming, but my first thought coming home from the church on the day i wore that puffy dress was getting it off and running around the garden with my cousins. My mother nearly had to force me into it in the morning and it took all her bargaining and persuasion skills to prevent me from taking it off before the pictures were taken.

I was a complete tomboy, through and through. Why would I wear a skirt when I could do so much more in trousers and shorts? I played football at lunch times in school whenever possible and my evenings were spent playing rugby at the top of my road, usually the only girl there. My energy was limitless and it was nearly impossible for me to come home in the evenings without a new bruise or grass stained clothing. My hair was messy, my clothes mismatched and my face grubby, more often than not.

But I can still remember the first item of clot
hing I fell in love with. A skirt, ironically. A white wraparound skirt, it was hardly practical but it was the first skirt I wore voluntarily and I think my mother decided she would take the extra washing if it meant getting me out of jeans.

That was the start and who knows where it'll
end. If you were to look into my overflowing wardrobe now you'd probably laugh at the idea of me living in the same jeans, t-shirt and fleece (a blue one I got as a present on holidays) for days on end. I've certainly had people look at me in disbelief when I mention it.

Despite these changes I still wouldn't take u
p the offer of becoming a princess. Sure the clothes might be great and though Prince William wouldn't be my type who can deny Price Harry is hot? But would you really be able to give up the freedom, the ability to go anywhere, do anything you want? I couldn't. Plus there's still the sound of that child in me, "But you couldn't do anything wearing fancy clothes all day!" And I have to agree.

But while royalty wouldn't be for me (not that I'
d ever be offered the chance!) no one can deny that Kate Middleton was the epitome of a princess at her wedding, especially in that dress. And I won't deny I enjoyed watching it!








No comments:

Post a Comment